Disney is giving ABC fans a special treat with the new mini-movie Once Upon a Studio. Find out about it here!
Disney is making a big deal out of its 100th anniversary with various celebrations at the parks. They're also releasing a huge 100-movie Blu-Ray set this fall. Now, Disney is working with ABC on the special short film, Once Upon a Studio, which pays tribute to its fantastic legacy.
What is Once Upon a Studio about?
The film stars longtime Disney animator Burny Mattinson (who passed away in February 2023, right after completing the film) as himself. As he walks the halls of the Disney Animation Studio, Burny muses on how he wishes the characters could come to life.
Hearing this, Mickey and Minnie pop out of a screen and try to assemble almost every Disney animated character into the ultimate "group photo." Along the way, expect clips from Disney's history and some interesting clashes of characters, like Moana meeting Flounder or a gathering of Disney villains.
The synopsis reads:
An all-star ensemble of beloved characters from Walt Disney Animation Studios come together in "Once Upon a Studio" for a joyful, entertaining and emotional reunion as they assemble for a spectacular group photo to mark Disney's 100th anniversary. Featuring 543 Disney characters from more than 85 feature-length and short films, "Once Upon a Studio" welcomes heroes and villains, princes and princesses, sidekicks and sorcerers—in all-new hand-drawn and CG animation—to celebrate 10 decades of storytelling, artistry and technological achievements. Directed by Dan Abraham and Trent Correy and produced by Yvett Merino and Bradford Simonsen, "Once Upon a Studio" makes its broadcast debut on ABC on Oct. 15, 2023.
Who stars in Once Upon a Studio?
As noted, Mattinson filmed his role before his passing at the age of 87. The film will mix current Disney voices with old footage of past performers. Expect some major stars like Dwayne Johnson as Maui, Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell as Elsa and Anna, Jodi Benson as Ariel, Paige O'Hara as Belle and more.
- Burny Mattinson as himself
- Chris Diamantopoulos as the voice of Mickey Mouse
- Kaitlyn Robrock as the voice of Minnie Mouse
- Bill Farmer as the voice of Goofy
- Cliff Edwards as the voice of Jiminy Cricket (archive recording)
- Kathryn Beaumont as the voice of Alice Liddell
- Bobby Driscoll as the voice of Peter Pan (archive recordings)
- Verna Felton as the voice of Flora (archive recordings)
- Barbara Luddy as the voice of Merryweather (archive recordings)
- Sterling Holloway as the voice of Winnie the Pooh (archive recordings)
- Jodi Benson as the voice of Ariel
- Paige O'Hara as the voice of Belle
- Robin Williams as the voice of the Genie (archive recordings)
- Lea Salonga
- Nathan Lane as the voice of Timon
- Jeremy Irons as the voice of Scar
- Anika Noni Rose as the voice of Tiana
- Ginnifer Goodwin as the voice of Judy Hopps
- Idina Menzel as the voice of Elsa
- Kristen Bell as the voice of Anna
- Jonathan Groff as the voice of Kristoff
- Josh Gad as the voice of Olaf
- Ariana DeBose as the voice of Asha
- Dwayne Johnson as the voice of Maui
The special is set to air on ABC October 15, part of a Wonderful World of Disney 100th Disney Celebration hosted by Kelly Ripa and will include sneak peeks of upcoming Disney shows, movies and theme park attractions.
This seems to be a great showcase for Disney's past and future and a joy for animated fans.
Once Upon a Studio premieres Sunday, October 15 at 9/8c on ABC.