There was a buzz when Disney announced they were stopping sales of physical media in Australia, and this would lead to the company discontinuing it completely. But it looks like Disney isn’t going down that route just yet.
In a surprise announcement, three major Disney+ TV shows will be getting special Blu-Ray and 4K UHD releases. This marks the first time any Disney+ original series will be making an appearance on physical media of any sort.
First, MCU fans can enjoy Loki: The Complete First Season, which drops on Tuesday, September 26. This comes just before the debut of the second season of the time-traveling drama, which premieres on Disney+ on October 6.
Then, WandaVision: The Complete First Season debuts on November 28. The first MCU series has Wanda (Elizabeth Olsen) and the Vision (Paul Bettany) stuck in a strange town based on sitcoms that take some wild turns. It also featured Kathryn Han, who’s getting her spin-off Agatha: Coven of Chaos, and Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau, a role she’ll reprise in The Marvels.
Then, Star Wars fans are in for a treat as the first two seasons of The Mandalorian will both be available on Tuesday, December 12th. So enjoy the fantastic run of Pedro Pascal as the warrior with Grogu, aka Baby Yoda, on unique adventures.
What’s on the discs?
Even more notable is that rather than be “bare bones” of just the episodes, each set will come packed with extras. So far, there’s no word on what will be on the WandaVision and Mandalorian sets, but the Loki set has some good stuff:
- Designing the TVA – Step into the incredible set of Loki Season 1 with Production Designer Kasra Farahani and Tom Hiddleston while getting a sneak peek into Season 2.
- The Official TVA Orientation Video – Miss Minutes explains the inner workings of the TVA timeline in her orientation video.
- Gag Reel – Take a look at some of the fun outtakes on set with the cast and crew of Loki Season 1.
- Deleted Scene: Loki’s Coronation – Mobius reviews some moments from Loki’s timeline, in which Frog Thor makes an appearance during Loki’s coronation.
- Deleted Scene: The Standoff – Loki holds Sylvie hostage against the TVA in a standoff.
- Assembled: The Making of Loki – Loki explores the series centering on the MCU’s chief mischief maker.
It’s likely Disney is hoping that putting out physical releases of the shows can entice more subscribers to Disney+. It’s a fun surprise for fans to be able to bring these shows home with some great bonus items and make rewatching even easier. It also leads to hopes other Disney+ shows (including ones removed from the streamer in May) can make their way to home video as well and show Disney isn't giving up on physical media yet.
Loki, WandaVision, and The Mandalorian are all streaming on Disney+.